Full Name: Jim Pollak
Jim Pollock (who is not the Dude of Life) has done a tremendous amount of artwork for Phish, including posters, tour shirts, the art work in Junta, the artwork on mail order tickets, and the Bob Chin* and Grungy Dudes* serieses in the Doniac Schvice. (*both large graphics)
As an example of his ticket artwork, consider the 1997 designs:
- Va Beach - an electric mixing bowl with what looks like VU meters, a slide control, a slot for an 8-track tape, a speaker, and maybe a two-inch video screen in the base
- Raleigh is an "Ortho-Floormatic" on it, which looks like a combination dentist drill and vacuum, or maybe a Hoover canister vacuum cleaner standing upright with a blender coming out the top
- Gorge 8/2 -- an electric fan attached to the top of an iron; could be called an "Iron Fan", and such an object exists: it's a traditional samurai weapon, a metal rod that looks like a folded fan.
- Gorge 8/3: an old coffee pot with a vacuum hose coming out of the bottom about it
- Deer Creek I: 'Phish' written in a small script fashion, not too fancy. The artwork seems to consist of an old-fashoined blender with all sorts of different controls on the base.
- Deer Creek II: 'Phish' written in funky futuristic block capitals. The artwork is a sink with an electric fan attached to the faucet.
- Star Lake: 'Phish' in nicer script, kind of flowery. Art shows one of those old percolator teapots with a vacuum hose coming out of the base of it.
- Darien Lake: 'Phish' in block lowercase, plain typewriter-looking letters. This one has a toaster with wheels on it. (and two pieces of toast, taboot)
- The Great Went: 'Phish' is the same flowery lettering as Star Lake. This one has a bowl of soup (or a teacup maybe?) inside the silhouette of the devil's head.
- Hapton 11/22 ightbulb with plugs (kinda looks like a spaceship blimp thing?)
- 11/26 hartford: ticketmaster ticket 8(
- 11/29 woosta: a t.v. with a guy on it pointing to a box that says "stuff" on it
- 12/12 albany: a strange morse code telegraph tapper device?
- 12/13 albany: a satellite
12/28-31 showed a de-evolution/devolution of man into a fish. The first MSG show is a picture of some sort of pre-historic man. The second MSG show is a picture of a being with a head of a fish and the legs of a person. The New Year's Eve tix show a fish below water. *
(Thanks to Charlz Franz 5/2/97), Steve Cunningham, jekat and kazdeyna 9/26/97, * Max David Brandy 11/13/97, and Kim Hannula who asked (5/4/97) "Are the mail-order tickets really word puzzles?")
Please send us descriptions of other Pollock tickets. And if you've scanned any and put them on the web, please send us the URL.
Jim held an exhibit showing in Burlington in fall 2002.
Note: The Dude of Life is Steve Pollak (NOT Steve Volato -- that's a false rumor; NOT Tom Marshall; and NOT Jim Pollock, the artist, who is, by the way, not related to Steve.) Shows up irregularly, infrequently, and (as far as we can tell) randomly, in odd attire for silly songs. See, for example, in rubber mask throwing rubber chickens and pushing a lawn mower singing "Diamond Girl" (Seals & Crofts tune) on 12-31-92.